Friday, July 13, 2012

Sad end to my AT adventure....

     I apologize for taking so long to add this post.  It was hard to come to grips with the idea that my adventure had come to a close and adding this post was the dot under the exclamation point.
     Due to an unfortunate injury I was no longer able to press on.  I would have continued on the stress fracture as long as I could have, but ultimately a partial tear in my Achilles tendon was the final blow.  I have been instructed to stay out of strenuous activity (ie. hiking) for approximately 3 months to allow the tendon to heal.
     I hope I did not disappoint anyone by not being able to complete my journey. I feel like the trip was a huge success and unfortunate circumstances limited the length, but not the sustenance of what I have gained from embarking on such a wonderful adventure.  I have made new friends, seen wonderful places and had experiences that will forever have changed my life.
     My only regrets will not being able to be outdoors for longer as well as not seeing the New England States.  Having been back now for a couple weeks it is truly hard not being in the woods from sun up until sun down.  The simplicity of the trail has really made me realize how little one needs to be happy.  I wish I would have been able to see the remaining states. I have never ventured up the northern seaboard and would have loved to walk through them and experience everything they have to offer.
     On a more positive note I have completed a huge section of the Appalachian Trail and the rest will be there for me when I am able to return.  I have no plans on starting over from Springer to say I have completed a "Thru Hike".  This trip has always been and always will be about the journey.  I may someday either pick up where I left off and complete the rest or finish it off it small sections as time permits.
     I am not done with hiking!!!! I will be back out there soon enough!!! In a few months my body should be healed and I should be back at my weekend adventuring around the southern states. I still have to finish the rest of the Benton Mackaye Trail as well as hike the Foothills Trail.  I'm sure I will be back on the AT for sections with some old friends as well as some new.
     Now that I have some time on my hands I will be putting together gear reviews, learned experiences and answering questions that anyone may have.
     As always.....keep hiking, have fun and live life to its fullest!!!

Happy Trails and stay tuned!

Rovious

    

1 comment:

  1. Excellent summary of a great adventure. Its good to look upon this as a great adventure that is temporarily interrupted but will continue sometime. No defeatest attitude. You did a great job and can be proud of the hike to date and look forward on what is to come.

    All our best, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete