Sunday, July 22, 2012

Insanity Program - Week 1 summary

     A whole week has now passed since my wife and I have started the Insanity Program.  All I can say is "Holy Cow".  This program is truly intense and has both of us feeling the burn.
     I have found that it is making me feel tired, but also invigorated as well.  My body is definitely adjusting to the severe cardio workouts that each session consists of.  Although the feeling is slightly different than the level and quality of shape that I was in while out hiking it does give me a sense of wanting more.
     My cardio in the morning has unfortunately drifted off a little in the first week.  I started the week off well, but by mid week I started having trouble sleeping and would not be able to make it out of bed in the morning to jump on the elliptical.  I hope to pick this portion back up on week two and stay true to the course that I have laid out for myself.
     The diet has been a little easier to adjust to than I thought.  After spending 3 weeks, after my return from the trail, gorging on ice cream, junk food and beer I thought I wouldn't be able to quit cold turkey.  Don't get me wrong there has been a lot of temptation.  My first week back at work has been filled with offers to go out to lunch (which I appreciate), seeing others come back with all that tasty fat filled foods and pot luck style dishes being set out around the lunch table making me want to cheat.  I have fortunately warded off the temptations and have only allowed myself one cheat meal a week.  I hope I can do as well this week as TV commercials such as the Wendy's Baconator seem to be everywhere.
     My gym workouts are going well.  I have lost a lot of strength since not picking up a weight in over 3 months, but I am not looking to set any world records.  I am strictly going to be healthy and at my age the joints don't appreciate trying to load the bars up with as much weight as I can push around.  It is however making it a little more difficult to perform some of the exercises in the Insanity Program.  After pre-fatiguing the muscles at the gym push ups, squats and jumps are a little difficult.  With that said I am pushing through with what I can.
     As for the physical/visual differences go I have noticed a little change already. It will take a few weeks for the body to get adjusted to the new workout program as well as diet so I'm not surprised by the numbers.  My weight has actually gone up a pound to 215.4, but that is due to gaining muscle mass which is heavier than fat.  The scale that I'm using supposedly measures body fat, but I don't hold a lot of faith in the accuracy of its readings.  It has fluctuated a bit over the course of the week from a loss of 2% body fat to a gain of 1%.  I can visually see a difference in my tone which is giving me confidence that I am losing fat (man boobs are shrinking :) ).
     On to WEEK 2!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thats a lot of adjustments,sacrifices and changes for such a short period. Don't put yourself into shock!!! You always have been a lean, mean, machine and I hope this gets the desired results before it hurts you. Good luck to you and Lisa both.

    Cheers, Dad

    ReplyDelete