Friday, May 18, 2012

Appalachian Trail Thru Hike 2012 - Update and video....

First here are a couple videos....





Heading into Pearisburg, VA.  I am going a little slow lately due to an injury to my right foot.  At the end of last year I did a long section hike over a weekend and sustained a stress fracture. Everything has been going fine up until a couple of days ago. I have had swelling and sharp shooting pain in the same location as before.  With this being said I slowed down the pace a bit....at around 12ish miles in a day my feet start swelling and getting sore so I backed off my mileage to around 10-12 miles a day to try and keep that at bay.  I actually started taking Ibuprofin to help keep the swelling down as well.  I have tried to stop at streams to soak my feet a couple times a day as a makeshift natures icepack.  The pain is still there, but it seems to have subsided a little. As they say "No Pain...No Maine!!!" :)

Been going solo since Marion.  Hill Hiker had pressed on and with my foot problems I haven't been able to do bigger miles to catch up. We have been in contact and may eventually meet up along the trail.

Hope everyone is doing well and thanks for taking the time to keep tabs on me!!

Happy Trails!!!!

Rovious

3 comments:

  1. During Difficult Days
    We also have joy with our troubles, because we know that these troubles produce patience. And patience produces character, and character produces hope. Romans 5:3-4.
    You've been through difficult days with the rain and your returning foot pain. Having to slow down a bit only produces patience and maybe the sunshine that peeped out for you is a reminder to keep enjoying the beauty around you. Keep hiking. Your doing great. When you can get some type of support for that foot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rain just seems to follow you! Hope the foot is getting better. I was wondering if that was going to act up on you. "NO PAIN, NO MAINE" Too funny!
    I'm really enjoying your web site. That deer was something.
    Keep hiking your dream
    love,M & D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have been following you since I found a few of your videos on youtube before your trip started. Enjoying seeing new videos when posted. Hope to hear that you are able to continue. We would like to come to some trail head later in summer to do some bbq for hikers, it would be great to run into you. You've become a bit of a celebrity. Take care, and wishing you well from Iowa.

    ReplyDelete