Friday, May 25, 2012

Appalachian Trail Thru Hike 2012-Day55 mile 741.1 (19)

After spending a day in a town, eating town food, sleeping in a bed, access to running water and a hot shower it was hard self motivating to head back out on the trail. Daleville, VA has been the best town up to this point in my opinion.
The trail was really well graded making the hiking easier than expected. The heat kicked in though making me feel more fatigued than usual and having to stop for water several times. My water filter started acting up for the first time on this trip of all days (86 degrees on my thermometer).
Meet some nice folks today. One of them was actually born in the same hospital as me and has a birthday 4 days from mine (7 years age difference though :) ).
Laying in my tent now with the odor of my rank shoes either fogging up my tent or making me dizzy :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi son,

    Getting soft on the weekends aren't you. All that civilization makes it tough. I guess you will have to tough it out.....those shoes and socks will keep you on your toes. (and out of the tent early I bet) keep smiling and safe hiking.
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seth,

    Congrats on passing the 1/3 mark. That is a HUGE milestone. I think you'll find that Shenandoah will give you a very pleasant week of hiking compared to the rest of the trail. Definitely make use of the waysides too....great milkshakes. I'll keep an eye on your updates and am still planning to swing down to duncannon to trade trail stories provided I'm around. (I have a few engagements in June/July that are already planned).

    Bummer that the weather has been so hot lately too. That always makes the hiking a bit more difficult. Take advantage of those creek crossings. I recommend full dunks...they definitely will cool you off.

    -john

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my coworkers had a milkshake this evening...which got me wondering how the Milkshake King is getting along? Have you kept a running count of how many you've had during this hike? What's your record now for number of banana shakes in a row?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope all is well with you and the foot is doing better! I imagine by now you are getting close to my neck of the woods. If at all possible, let me know when you get close to Front Royal, Winchester, Harpers Ferry area's. My parents are about 5 minutes away from Ashby Gap (Hwy 50) crossing. All those areas I am about 20-25 minutes from. Maybe I can get a day hike in with you or hang out for a while. Take care bro, you are an inspiration! Tom

    ReplyDelete