Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Appalachian Trail Thru Hike 2012-Day 22 mile 510.5 (16.3)

Woke up early after a noisy night, but the rain was short lived making it ok. Hit the trail by 7am and hiked most of the morning with overcast sky. This was a good thing because it kept the temps at a reasonable level.
Made it to McAfee Knob for lunch and took a few iconics photos. The sky had cleared just for us and we had great views.
Just after leaving the knob I found a lost dog from a section hiker we met earlier. I leashed it up with my line and headed down the trail. We spent a good while trying to track the owner down with no luck. We are staying in the shelter due to expected rain tonight and because of the dog. I will take him into the vets in Daleville tomorrow.
I have a new respect for people who hike with their dogs. I fed the dog half of my food and carried extra water for it making for a heavy pack and an empty belly :) - all worth it though!
Sent with Verizon Mobile Email

2 comments:

  1. Great photo. I am sure a semi-clear day is better than anything you have had lately. Good job with the pup, I am sure the owner appreciates your efforts....the dog as well. Sounds like you are still making good progress. You are doing a great job, keep smiling and take it one day at a time.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to say that this picture is amazing! It sounds like a lot of fun but also a lot a work. So nice of you to take care of that dog for a little bit. Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete