Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Appalachian Trail Thru Hike 2012-day 44 mile 575.2 (19.1)

I actaully stayed in a shelter last night. Usually i would prefer tenting, but having nothing but rain for what has seemed like forever I just did not want to pack a soaking wet tent up. Luckily there was only one person there and he didn't snore!
I rolled out at 7am once again in the rain. Most of the morning was spent getting soaked on a 2000 foot climb up to Chestnut Knob shelter for lunch. Just before the shelter I walked through a giant field while it only drizzled. The scene actually lifted my spirits a bit.
I spent around 40 minutes for lunch and during that time the rain stopped and the sun made its appearance. I was able to take the rain gear off for the first time in a couple days and let my clothes dry as I walked.
The weather only held out for a while and I was forced back into my wet suit just before making it to Jenkins Shelter. Once again fed up with the rain I made a nest in the shelter, ate dinner and layed down for a nights rest filled with snoring (unfortunately not mine).
The attached picture is of a couple hiking pups I have seen a couple of times - Keep going Mojo and Sky! :)
Sent with Verizon Mobile Email

1 comment:

  1. Just can't get away from the rain can you!! I hope sunny skies come soon for you. Nice photo of the pup's, bet they make good company.
    Woke to 35 degrees this morning and off to the woods for Turkey. So far only a Porcupine and a whitetail headed south. A big black bear is coming to camp cause the folks behind me are feeding it! I told them to keep it there.

    Keep smiling and great hiking to you.

    Cheers, Dad

    ReplyDelete