Monday, March 5, 2012

Appalachian Trail Thru Hike - Prep...More Food Stuff!!

Over the weekend I spent a lot of time preparing ground meat products for my upcoming trip.  Cooking, washing, dehydrating and preparing this type of food made me wonder how my diet is going to treat my body over the course of the next several months.

Here are a few photos of the process I used to make gravel.
Brown Lean Ground Beef/Turkey/Chicken


Rinse under hot water to remove extra fat

Distribute evenly on dehydrator trays

Set dehydrator to meat setting.

I run the gravel through a food processor to make it very small (so it re-hydrates well).

Bag and date.
The best I have figured is that .86oz of turkey gravel is equivalent to 1 4oz serving of cooked turkey worth approximately 170 calories and 21 grams of protein.  I will be adding at least 1 serving (beef/turkey/chicken) to all my cooked meals (which usually are lunches and dinners - with the occasional breakfast - I know I cook a lot! ). 

This is my cheap attempt to add better nutrition to my diet while out in the woods.  This in combination with Knorr meals, Ramen, Idahoan Potatoes, Cous Cous and of course pasta and then dehydrated/freeze dried vegetables should hopefully hold me over between town food.

I will try to post some of the recipes I come up with as I progress.

Rovious

No comments:

Post a Comment