Saturday, February 25, 2012

Food?

Getting closer and closer to my departure date and my biggest dilemma to this point is FOOD!!!! You would think gear, logistics, missing family and friends would be the biggest questions on my mind (and don't worry they are big ones), but what to eat while away has me a little nervous.

For the most part I eat a pretty healthy diet at home. Usually a high protein, low fat combination with the occasional fast food binge to satisfy my emotional cravings on high stress days. With that being said I really haven't seen a lot of salad bars in the woods during my hiking adventures.  So what is a person to do?

I usually manage while hiking over a few days on dehydrated or freeze dried meals, but my cravings for vegetables, grilled chicken or steaks and strangely enough salads start calling after the first day.

So with all this being said here is what I have deduced for my menu up to this point:
     *  Dehydrate meals to eat healthier and save money!!
     *  Utilize store bought sides (such as Knorr meals, etc) with added veggies and proteins
     * Add in a few Mountain House meals.
     *  Stop at every restaurant that I can find along the way.

I am hoping that the one or two people who may check in on this blog can help me out a bit.....If you have any good recipes that you may have tested out and are willing to share please do so!!!! The more variety I have the better off I will be.  There is no doubt I will come back much lighter than my couch potato body has become, but I would like to avoid hitting the 2/3 point on the trail and feel like bailing (like so many others) due to lack of nutrition and poor heath.

I appreciate any help/recipes that you may have to offer.  Please leave them in the comment section below this post if you have the time.  I will try to add entries and videos of what I have come up with under the "Food Labs" tab of this blog for anyone interested.

As always...Thanks for tuning in and your support!!!

Rovious


No comments:

Post a Comment