Saturday, May 12, 2012

Appalachian Trail Thru Hike 2012 - Day 40 mile 542.2 (11.6)



Last nights stay in the shelter was trying to say the least. Out of the 8 of us that were on the lower level 7 were severe snorers (I was not one of them as I am still having a lot of difficulty getting any sleep and spend most of the night awake). I was on the trail at 7am and finally had a day that would not rain on me!!!! It was a little chilly early which is what I really enjoy when hiking.
I traveled through farm land and traveled back in time to a little bit of history.  I passed by an old one room school building which was open to hikers and completely restored and maintained.  I stayed there for a short while taking pics/videos and tending to a few tender spots on my feet.
I made it to Atkins by 11:30 and checked into the Relax Inn.  Little did I know what I was in for. Although cheap, right on the trail and close to a restaraunt it was lacking in cleanliness.  The bugs truely had "Bed Bugs" and I felt itchy all night long. Not complaining though as I was not wet, had a shower, bed and a full belly.
Since I got here a day early and was going to meet my wife here on Saturday I had to stay in Atkins for an additional day. She is going to pick me up Saturday morning and we will be heading into Marion to stay at a much nicer hotel (The General Francis Marion Hotel).

1 comment:

  1. Paint the school white and it would be perfect for the Little House of the Prairie show. Keep growing that hair and you'll be able to braid it like Melissa Gilbert! Glad your doing well and feeling good. Keep Hiking! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete