Thursday, April 26, 2012

AT Thru Hike 2012 - Day 26 mile 342 (6.3)

Last night was better weather wise. The rain that we were supposed to get didn't happen. That all changed after 20 minutes of hiking.
I had just put my rain gear on when the sky opened up. Lightning and thunder was all around me. Extreme wind followed along with hale. Since i was on an exposed piece of trail i stepped up the pace. The wind increased even more and trees started falling around in the woods by me. I immediately started jogging to get to lower elevation. Just then a large tree fell within 5 feet of me. If i would have been 2 steps faster I wouldnt be posting this. My life literally flashed before my eyes! Childhood memories and just about everything from my life. By the time I realized I was not dead and came back to concious I noticed myself in a full sprint heading down the trail. Almost 40 years of memories flashed before my eyes in less than 30 seconds (not in any order and all vivid as they were just happening). Things like riding an elephant in Florida when i was about 3-5, memories of trips with my family when I was a child and on and on.
It's amazing how one event like that can pur your whole life in perspective.
I am now in a Super 8 motel. All I can say is "what a day!" A little rattled, but alive and well. Life will never look the same again to me. Almost leaving my wife a widow will forever change me. Never take the ones you love and the ones who love you for granted!

5 comments:

  1. And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of theses is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13. Keep going He is taking care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! our prayers are being answered with your safety. I'll be praying even more now!
    I'm totally speechless about your experience. What a nightmare.
    Take care, we're with you in spirit all the way Thank God you are safe
    love, M&D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to set up a Google account so I have been following along in stealth mode until now. I have had similar experiences with ice and snow (not wind) accumulating on the trees here in V.A. and once the build up is too much for them you can hear them dropping like flies in the woods but I have no close calls like the one you had! Glad to hear that you are safe and sound! You are making great time bro, catch up with you in V.A. not to long from now. Stay safe! Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been following you. I am so glad you are OK. You better not let anything happen to you because you are needed BAD back at work.ha ha!
    Everyone truly misses you and life is much better with witch wendy gone.

    Take care and let me know if you need anything and we will all send you a package.

    cathy

    ReplyDelete