Sunday, February 19, 2012

Cell Phones for the Appalachian Trail!!!

This post is mainly for anyone that may be considering taking  a cell phone with them while hiking the Appalachian Trail......


I have hiked just about the entire section of the AT from Springer Mountain in Georgia thru Troutdale, VA.  With that being said most cell phone providers do not get coverage along this corridor.  I currently have T-Mobile and have only had coverage around the Standing Indian section of trail in NC.  While my phone has been just added weight in my pack other friends that I hike with regularly have Verizon Wireless and have had pretty good coverage in most sections and swear by their coverage.

I have just returned from the Verizon store and spent some time speaking with one of their sales reps.  I didn't want to switch from my current carrier (as the plan that I have is an older one and pretty cheap) and only needed a phone for the time I will be on the trail.  He was very helpful and directed me to a prepaid plan for around $50 a month that should accomplish my goals.

My main reason for carrying a cell phone is not for safety, but rather to keep in touch with my wife while I am away.  This is going to be a huge sacrifice on both our parts (as far as being apart for this long) and I would like to be able to stay in contact with her as much as possible.  With that being said I think Verizon will be the way for me to go.

I hope this information is of some assistance for anyone that has run into the same situation as I have.

Happy Trails!!!

Rovious

No comments:

Post a Comment