Saturday, July 23, 2011

West Highland Way - Scotland Day 6 - Kingshouse to Kinlochleven

West Highland Way - Scotland

Day 6 - Kingshouse to Kinlochleven (9 miles)



Waking up this morning I felt the effects of last nights beer tasting binge. I'm not as young as I used to be :).

We woke up a little later than usual today and finally made our way to breakfast around 8:30. We ate a little lighter today than usual, but we only had a 9 mile day ahead of us.

Even though we got up a little late we were still on the trail by a little after 9. We took the first few miles slow even though it was pretty flat.

We arrived at the base of the Devil's Staircase by 10am. The name was much more fierce than the actual climb. The mile to mile and half climb was a little challenging considering I was sweating out about a beer every quarter mile.

I arrived at the top around 10:45 and found myself a rock to sit on while I waited for Lisa to reach the top. I took some pics, videos and caught up on my journal. The view was absolutely breathtaking and brought tears to my eyes.

Lisa arrived around 11:10 and we sat together enjoying a snack and the beauty of the Highlands. We placed our rock on top of the cairn, since this was the highest point on the WHW and were again on our way.

The rest of the hike was all downhill and since we couldn't check in to our B&B until 3pm we took our time.

We arrived in Kinlochleven around 2pm and stopped at the Tailrace Inn for lunch. Lisa had a very tasty lentil soup and I had a burger. We both had salads as well.

By 3:15 we were at the Edencoille Guest House and greeted by the proprietor. We were given a family suite which was amazing.

We did our usual routine of showering and changing into our street clothes and then relaxed for a bit while watching what happened in Norway on tv.

Shortly before 6pm we headed back to Tailrace Inn for dinner. Lisa had a big bowl of pasta and I had a ribeye steak. We sat around watching Harry Potter until the locals started pooring in to get their "drink-on". We hung around a bit then headed back to our B&B around 8pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment